Transcription process

How many staff(s) do you have overseeing/assisting with your transcription process? Also, please indicate if you outsource of have in-house transcriptionists.
Thank you.

Sheila Schultz
Director of HIM
Wheeling Hospital
One Medical Park
Wheeling WV 26003
304-243-3695
Fax 304-243-8599
ssschultz@wheelinghospital.org

Comments

• edited May 2016
    I have 4 full time transcriptionists who work from home. One of them is
    the "supervisor", but gets no extra pay. There are no inhouse
    transcriptions. We outsource hospital owned physician clinic dictation
    to a transcription company -M*Modal.

Suzanne LeMaire, RHIT

HIMS Leader

Scheurer Hospital

170 North Caseville Road

Pigeon, MI 48755-9781

phone: 989.453-5205

fax: 989-453-4455

email: lemaires@scheurer.org
  • edited May 2016
    To clarify, by in-house, I meant employed whether on-site or working from home.
    Thank you.

Sheila Schultz
    Director of HIM
    Wheeling Hospital
    One Medical Park
    Wheeling WV 26003
    304-243-3695
    Fax 304-243-8599
    ssschultz@wheelinghospital.org
  • edited May 2016
    We outsource our transcription and have one HIM employee, whose main
    duties are other things, oversee questions, etc.

Pam Conroy, RHIT

Director/Health Information Management

pconroy@hnjh.org

Ph. 906-293-9211

Fax-906-293-3753

502 W. Harrie St. Newberry, Mi. 49868
  • edited May 2016
    We are a 107 bed acute care facility and have 4 full time transcriptionists in house. One of them also is a "lead" without extra pay but takes care of scheduling, vacations, etc. Hospital wanted to outsource and MD's put up such a fight they cancelled that idea. They love the transcription staff and like the personalized service of MD being able to pick up phone and make special requests or changes personally speaking with the actual transcriptionist.

Catherine S. Kadry, RHIT, CCS, CHA
    Director, Health Information Management
    Pioneers Memorial Healthcare District
    207 W. Legion Road
    Brawley, CA 92227
    Phone (760) 351-3148 Fax (760) 351-3463
  • We are a Critical Access Hospital with clinics that we transcribe progress notes for and also do pathology. We don't outsource. There are four staff members making 3.5 FTEs. They work in house and take standby from 5-11pm Monday through Friday for emergencies. I have one lead transcriptionist who also schedules, etc., and she is paid a little more for these duties. Our physicians also love our in house staff. We also stay in house to help prevent any kind of HIPAA violation. This configuration works good for us.

Katherine A. Hopkins, RHIA, RN
    Health Information Manager
    Ridgecrest Regional Hospital
    1081 N. China Lake Blvd.
    Ridgecrest, CA 93555
    (760) 499-3670
  • edited May 2016
    We are a 49 bed acute care hospital. HIM has 17 staff (not including Director). 5 of those are transcriptionists. No lead transcriptionist and no clerical support, but I do have someone who does the system support (key user) and most of the new provider orientation in dictation system and e-signing.

2 (employed) transcriptionists work from home (out of state). Being in Alaska and having staff working from other (eastern) time zones allows my coverage to be from 2am to 7pm most days. We have an outsource vendor we use for backlog/overflow, but with the progression of the electronic record there really has been a real drop in our use of this vendor. (Through attrition, we have dropped 2 transcription staff members this year.) In fact, having to find other things for transcription staff to do to get their hours. They have been a big help in other areas, but I know they just want to type.

Marianne Dailey, RHIT, CHP, CPHQ
    Director HIM & Privacy Officer
    Central Peninsula Hospital
    Soldotna, Alaska 99669
    (907) 714-4563
    mdailey@cpgh.org
Sign In to comment.