RE: Duplicate Registrations

Here, HIM still reviews ALL new medical record number assignments from the previous day to identify duplicates. We cross check against DOB, SSN, and name to be sure we have/don't have a duplicate....sometimes even comparing signatures.

Marianne Dailey, RHIT, CHP, CPHQ
Director HIM & Privacy Officer
Central Peninsula Hospital
Soldotna, Alaska 99669
(907) 714-4563
mdailey@cpgh.org

Comments

• edited May 2016
    Thank you for all of your replies - I was hoping this function had moved to registration or EMR team with the advent of EMRs and work queue abilities. It appears it has not.

I don't disagree that it's important to make sure the process has a high quality standard, however, I am in favor of having those who make the errors accountable for fixing them.

Just for the sake of discussion - what are your thoughts on this? Should duplicate registrations be worked and owned by the registration areas or do you feel it's important for HIM to continue to work these?

Thanks!
    Tricia
  • edited May 2016
    This is a team of people and departments involved, to include Registration, IT staff, Billing and Medical Records. The decision to merge, combine or begin with a new registration involves all of these people, especially on the Medicare or any other governmental regulations. We are notified depending on who finds it through email, all have their say to weigh in on the decision, then we are all responsible for our sections applications. Registration creates or deletes the encounter, IT is responsible for transferring the EMR documentation, Billing is responsible for charge transfers and Medical Records for the paper documentation merge (scanned items have to be moved to the correct record). So this is definitely a team effort to involve all parties and all applications.

Thank you and hope this helps!

Cindi Majewski
    Medical Records Director
    United Regional
    1600 Eleventh St
    Wichita Falls, Tx 76301
    940-764-3129
    New Email address
    cmajewski@unitedregional.org
  • edited May 2016
    I think it is imporant for HIM to continue auditing this, as we do with anything that may affect the integrity of the medical record. As Custodian of the Medical Record, I want to know qualified individuals (HIM staff) are assuring the information goes into the right record. I agree that those making the errors should be held accountable, but that does not mean they need to fix the issue.

We send a report of corrected registrations to the registration supervisor, and track those each month.

Marianne Dailey, RHIT, CHP, CPHQ
    Director HIM & Privacy Officer
    Central Peninsula Hospital
    Soldotna, Alaska 99669
    (907) 724-4563
    mdailey@cpgh.org
Sign In to comment.